Novi, Mich.—The City of Novi received Southeast Michigan Council of Governments' Sustainable Community Recognition Program Award for taking steps to incorporate sustainable activities into its municipal practices.
According to SEMCOG, "... sustainability is about achieving economic prosperity while protecting the environment and providing a high quality of life for residents."
Novi has completed many of the recognition program’s eligible activities, including:
- Developing green infrastructure and protection for woodland and wetlands;
- Conducting safety audits for the city's streets;
- Creating a sidewalk priortization plan that manages sidewalk needs;
- Mandating low-impact development; and
- Surveying citizens in the National Citizen Survey.